Historical Notes.-The following description of Saddle River township nearly half a century since, before its boundaries were materially changed, may be of interest : ” It is centrally distant northwest from Hackensack Town eight miles, its greatest length east and west being ten miles, its breadth north and south eight miles, its area 41,000 acres, of which about 17,000 are improved. The surface is generally hilly, the first and Second Mountains of Sussex County crossing the Passaic and continuing through it. On the east, however, between the Passaic and Saddle Rivers, there is a neck of low and level land, the soil red shale and loam the valleys fertile and well cultivated, and the hills well wooded. Through the valleys flow several small brooks, such as Singack, Preakness, Krokaevall, Goffle, and Ackerman’s Brooks. ” Goffle and New Manchester, a part of Paterson, are the chief villages of the township. The population in 1830 was 3,397. In 1832 there were 741 taxables, 496 householders whose ratables did not exceed $30 in value, 80 single men, 7 stores, 8 gristmills, 1 cotton manufactory, 1 furnace, 10 saw-mills, 13 tan-vats, 2 distilleries, I wool-factory, 506 horses and mules, and 1324 neat cattle over three years of age. The township paid a State tax of $364.10, and a county tax of $690.26.”
George Van Riper.—His father, Garret I. Van Riper, was a farmer at Bergen, in old Bergen County, N. J. In 1815 he removed to Saddle River township, where he died Feb. 24, 1821, aged eighty-two ,years. He had one son, Jeremiah, by his first wife, who in- herited the homestead at Bergen, and resided there during his life. His second wife was Antlena Vree- land, who died Sept. 25, 1819, aged sixty-three years, leaving one son, George, subject of this sketch. Garret Van Riper and his second wife were buried in the graveyard at Paasaic. George Van Riper was born June 3, 1787, and during his minority received a good education from books. He was well learned in civil engineering and surveying, which, however, he gave little attention to after his marriage, but he had a natural taste for mathematics, as books now in possession of the family, used by him, show much system and neatness. He was united in marriage, July 23, 1814, to Clarissa, daughter of George and Jane (Brinkerhoff) Vreeland, who was born at Pamrapo, near Bergen,(Jersey City) Dec. 25, 1794, and who survives and resides in Paterson in 1881. She is a woman of very retentive memory consider- ing her age, well preserved in body and mind, and still entertains socially and hospitably, as has always been her custom, her many friends and relatives. Mr. Van Riper and wife, the year following their mar- riage, settled at Slaughter Dam, (Fair Lawn) in Saddle River township,N.J., on a farm of some three hundred acres, a property which his grandfather George had owned, and which his father had inherited and given to his sisters, Grietje and Alche. Mr. Van Riper, who was familiarly known as “Uncle George,” resided on this farm until his death, May 23, 1857. He and his wife attended the Ac- quackanonk Church,, where at different times he served as elder and deacon. The children of this union are Garret, born Oct. 16, 1815, died July 20, 1864. He was a farmer in Passaic County, and mar- ried Martha Maria Romaine, who died, leaving chil- dren,-Richard and Daniel R. Van Riper, Jane, wife of Garret Newkirk, of Bergen; Cornelius, born Nov. 6, 1819, resided on a part of the homestead, and died June 3, 1877, whose wife was Gatharine Jane Marce- lis, who died Nov. 14, 1875, leaving children,-Clara Jane and Edo; Helen; John G., born January, 1824, married Maria Ann Romaine, of Lodi, and has three children,-Georgianna, Romaine, and Louis P. The other children of George Van Riper are Hartman Vreeland, George G., Eliza Ann, and Henry. Mrs. Van Riper’s paternal grandfather, Vreeland, resided at Pamrapo, N. J. The Van Ripers, Vree- lands, and Brinkerboffs are among the families who trace their descent from an honorable ancestry, who left their native country (Holland) to avoid persecu- tion, and settled in this county, where their succeed- ing generations have contributed to the development of its various industries, and ranked among the founders of all the cherished institutions of a free country.